Friday, May 1, 2015

EHUD: Push for Publication

     Greetings Facebook friends, loyal readers, and Google advertising bots!  The time is coming nigh for me to once more query agents for my novel EHUD: Prelude to Apocalypse.  The last round of querying was... underwhelming, to say the least.  Out of maybe eighty letters sent out, seventy resulted in rejections, and the rest were left unanswered....  Which is why, before I start querying again, I'm launching the Push for Publication initiative!
     So, what does that mean for me?  Revisions.  Tighten up chapters, trim word count, the usual.
     And what does that mean for you?  So glad you asked...
     No writer exists in a vacuum--every piece of literature is built upon the comments and critiques of dedicated pre-readers.  And this is what I ask of you all: As I prep for revisions, please read my book.  Tell me what's wrong with it, tell me what's right with it, tell me what you would do in my place.  I've done all I can on my own: now I need YOU to lend a hand.
     For those who bravely take the plunge and agree to read, I am asking for some rather deep insights.  This isn't a spelling and grammar run; those things are important, but they are the final polish on a manuscript, and if there are more fundamental flaws in EHUD, those need to be addressed first.
     What I'm looking for, in order of importance, is this:
          
          1. Is the plot sound?  Are there portions that make no sense?  Do scenes logically flow from one to the next?
          2. Are the characters sound?  Are they grating?  Do they act consistently?  Are they downright cliche?
          3. Is the writing sound?  Is the verbiage so verbose as to be opaque to a casual bibliovore?  Is bad, or dumb sound?   
          4. Okay, is there any blatantly wrong spelling grammar?  Don't worry about it too much, but if it pops out, make a note!

     If you've read this far and are still interested, please contact me on Facebook or comment below.  The book is available in both .doc and EPUB formats, though the first paragraph is different between the two versions.  After I've heard back from everyone willing to help, I'll incorporate your critiques into the new revision and, hope against hope, get an agent out of it.  And hey, you'll get your name listed in the acknowledgements!  Sweet!
     Thanks in advance to anyone who's read this, and especially to those willing to read.  Together, we can make the Push to Publication! (though really, I'm the only one who gets anything out of it...)

No comments:

Post a Comment